Artificial grass has gained immense popularity over the years due to its low maintenance requirements and year-round green appearance. Whether you’re looking to revamp your outdoor space or create a lush, green play area, installing artificial grass can be a rewarding project. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the process of laying artificial grass from our professional fitting team providing you with expert insights and tips to ensure a successful installation.
Planning and Preparation:
Before embarking on your artificial grass installation project, thorough planning and preparation are essential. Here are some key steps to consider:
- Measuring and Ordering: Begin by accurately measuring the area where you intend to lay the artificial grass. This will help you determine the required amount of turf and any additional materials. When ordering, consider factors like quality, durability, and your specific needs.
- Site Preparation: Clear the area of any existing vegetation, rocks, or debris. Smooth out the soil, ensuring it is level and well-drained. If necessary, use a rotavator or similar equipment to loosen compacted soil.
- Weed Control: Lay a weed membrane over the prepared soil to prevent weed growth. This will help maintain the pristine appearance of your artificial grass over time.
- Base Preparation: For a stable and long-lasting artificial grass installation, create a solid base. This typically involves installing a sub-base MOT at around 150mm and a layer of compacted aggregate, such as crushed stone or grit.
- Edging: Install suitable edging materials, such as treated timber or metal strips, around the perimeter of the area. This will define the boundaries and provide support for the artificial grass.
- Lay the Weed Membrane: Roll out the weed membrane over the compacted aggregate, ensuring it covers the entire area. Overlap the edges and secure the membrane with landscape staples.
- Securing the artificial grass: There are a few options available but the most common is to secure some roofing battens around the perimeter of the grass area with treated wooden stakes. This gives the perfect surface for screwing on the artificial grass, apply timber screws every 6 inches for a secure finish.
- Artificial Grass Installation: Unroll the artificial grass and let it settle for a few hours to eliminate any folds or creases. Ensure the grass fibers are facing the desired direction. Trim any excess material using a sharp utility knife.
- Joining and Securing: Use artificial grass joining tape and adhesive to secure the individual rolls together. Apply the adhesive sparingly and ensure a tight bond. Weight down the seams until the adhesive dries.
- Trimming and Shaping: Trim the edges of the artificial grass using a sharp knife, following the contours of the area. Shape the turf around any obstacles, such as trees or flower beds, ensuring a neat and seamless finish.
Finishing Touches and Maintenance:
Depending on the type of artificial grass, you may need to apply infill material to enhance stability and resilience. Common infill options include silica sand or rubber granules. Distribute the infill evenly across the turf using a stiff brush or power broom. Regularly brush the artificial grass to maintain its upright position and prevent matting. This will help the blades regain their natural appearance and ensure consistent performance. Maintenance on Artificial grass is extremely easy, simply remove any debris, leaves, or pet waste from the surface using a leaf blower or a gentle spray of water. For more thorough cleaning, use a mild detergent and rinse with water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or excessive water pressure. Sometimes stains can be inevitable, especially with children about. Promptly treat any stains on the artificial grass to prevent them from becoming permanent. Most stains can be removed using a mixture of water and mild detergent. Stubborn stains may require specialized artificial grass cleaners.
We hope this guide has helped you understand the steps involved but if you would prefer to leave it to the professionals then feel free to contact our team for a free no obligation quote today on 01615197799
Want some inspiration? check out our projects page for some great quirky ideas on how you can transform your garden!